Thursday, July 22, 2010

Formula windsurfing is safer!

Taking all the disciplines of windsurfing (planing conditions), I think the safest is still formula windsurfing.

Why? Simple! I go out on a nice sunny day, with probably a 10 knot wind, and I am having a blast, all the way till i see an approaching storm and then with my 11msq sail, I head back to shore. That is when I see all my friends jumping into the sea with their tiny sails - 7msq mostly.

Now, living along the equatorial belt, storms here are short and heavy, with lighting. Plenty of it! For someone who has been caught in a storm before, and washed by the current a couple of kilometers, I have to say that the sight of dark clouds looming does send me packing, to a place near shore, and where I can get back on dry land fast.

Simple. Formula is safer. Why windsurf for 20 minutes before a storm, when there are hours upon hours of wind, sufficient for formula windsurfing all day long, in the nice sunshine!

That said, I too have a smaller board and sail, and yes, I do dump my formula gear and go out on smaller equipment when a storm hits.

After all that rambling - just keep surfing!