Monday, April 6, 2009

What we stand for

It has been a rather interesting weekend, with a lot covered and found. I really do like this, when I do get to think about things and see where that gets me.

I was watching Religulous by Bill Maher and it addressed quite a few issues about religion and politics, of which I will not talk about here, but would still recommend it very strongly to those who may be fortunate enough to get their hands on a copy. For thought. (I did not spell Religulous wrongly).

So much for that, I was going through many things last night and I realized that I have indeed changed over the past couple of years in terms of thought and things that I stand for. I realized that I have been more and more interested in knowing what makes people tick, though I usually have not much to say about it. I have my opinions but that can really be summed into - everyone is different because of the experiences that have shaped them. This may seem really obvious to some, but the depth at which this statement holds true is really misunderstood. I think that I would try not to get into a debate with someone over their actions simply because it isn't the conscious mind that dictates the way of action, but rather the very fabric of their being. It is really interesting to see how people try and justify actions afterward. Their actions that were preceded not by rational thinking but rather, impulse. This was brought to my attention from a book that I am just done with. I just try my very best to see the whole picture, while trying hard to be un-biased through it all.

I read, (I try and I fail. I try again, and I fail again. Never mind because when I try again, and I fail better) and I was talking to a few people about that and I was actually rather surprised with what I heard. Whatever the case, I am actually rather convinced that most people are wired to want a constant in their lives, and that any exception to that would be a threat to their very being. Many, and I am sure that I am included on this, would think of a thousand and forty two reasons to not want to think, or try something. Even when shown that it may be a better option. On top of that, many would cite faith as a reason. It is rather interesting to see how not thinking has suddenly become a virtue. I think that because we are shaped by our experiences, and we are who we are is because of what we went through, the exclusion of options would be self denial of the experiences in life. Of course, that said, I have to add that personal values must always be adhered to. Like the Unitarian Universalists say - A free and responsible search for truth and meaning. Free from ourselves. I do agree with Chomsky on many points pointed out in his “Disinformation Guide”. Freedom is not as common as we think, when mostly we are bound by ourselves. I quote,” There is not one who is more imprisoned than he who falsely believes that he is free.”

Most of this came from a dialogue with a friend of mine, in which she said - don't look too hard, you may confuse yourself even further. I replied, I dont know what to believe, and I am trying to find out. I am not going to have blind faith, which is making not thinking a virtue.